March 9, 2011

Boolean Search

AND - OR - NOT
Today I want to teach you about doing a Boolean search on Google

A Boolean search uses the terms AND, OR and NOT to modify the search results.  If I wanted to look for information about rice AND beans, I would type that in to Google.  If I want information about rice OR beans, I would type that in to Google.  If I want information about rice but NOT beans, I would type that in to Google.  Which search do you think would garner the most results?  Which do you think would garner the least?  Try it out!

Today I want you to do some Boolean searches on Google for your research paper topic.  Take a few minutes to jot down the Boolean searches you will try.  I will be coming around to see them, so please have these notes ready.

If you want to read more about Boolean searches, check out this site from a library

No comments:

Post a Comment