February 15, 2011

The Bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki by Emily

I can't even begin to fathom the pain and suffering that the Japanese people went through when the USA bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki. They were sitting happily in their homes, just living a normal day. Suddenly, all they could see was smoke and fire. Everything they owned, their money, their homes, was gone in a flash. Their skin was wounded and burning, and there was glass everywhere. All they could breathe in was smoke. Can you imagine what that must've been like to live through a terrorizing experience like that?

Even though the Japanese people were warned, the bombing was a shock to them. Some weren’t aware of the horror that was to come. Not only would everything that these innocent human beings were accustomed to be gone forever, but they would be faced with a life long battle for their health. They not only suffered from the horrendous burns and wounds, but people were scarred and died from radiation, as well as many other outrageous causes. In my opinion, inflicting so much pain and suffering on innocent people was a bad move on our part, but I guess the intensions of the US were good. Also, the bomb most likely saved the lives of many Americans. I have mixed opinions about this subject, but I think that as we further study this topic my opinion with be further developed.

I guess that before the US bombed Hiroshima, they weren’t fully aware of all of the following effects of the bomb on the Japanese people. Even today, survivors of the atomic bomb are still being studied and tested for the effects that the radiation has on themselves and their children. The bomb did save the lives of many innocent Americans though. I now realize why we were asked the question “Is it okay to kill someone to save someone else?”. There were many different opinions, and this question could be deeply debated. Many would say that it depends on the situation and I do agree with that. However, in this situation, where the lives of innocent citizens of our country were in danger, but innocent citizens of another country would have to die to save our own country’s people, I wouldn’t know what to do if I were put in charge of this decision. For now, I plan on having mixed thoughts about this topic, and I plan to further develop my opinion later on in the term.

No comments:

Post a Comment