February 15, 2011

Bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki by Danielle

Could you imagine sitting at home in your house, and suddenly, BANG! Evereything you had is gone, blown over by a fire. You only breathe in smoke, and your entire body is burning. Your skin is peeling, and you can't see anything. It would be quite a scary experience. Could you imagine inflicting this upon someone? This is what the U.S. did when they bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The Japanese people were warned, but still the bombing was surprising. The bomb was meant to end the war, but for the Japanese people it started another one. A war with their health. The innocent people suffered from so many different causes, it makes you wonder if the bombing was worth it.

I have mixed feeling about whether or not the U.S. did the right thing by bomb Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I understand that the first bombing was to end the war. I do not think that our country new exactly what power the bomb possessed at first. I'm sure they didn't know all the effects that the bomb would have on the people of Japan. The original bombing of Hiroshima was meant to destroy the military base, but it also ended up destroying many homes. This bomb did probably save the lives of many Americans. It stopes the process of Japan discovering an atomic bomb. After they discovered the devastation, you would think that they would not bomb the country again. Japan didn't surrender, forcing the U.S. To bomb Nagasaki. In my opinion,
they should not have bombed Nagasaki. They knew how terrible the injuries of innocent civilians was, so why bomb them again? The innocent victims suffered from severe radiation, burns, and deep cuts. They lost all of their homes, their families. Some lost the ability to have healthy children. The effects of the radiation from the atomic bomb are still showing in children today.

If I was the one to decide whether or not to bomb Japan, I wouldn't have known what to do. The bombing did save many Americans. Which brings me back to the question, is it ok to kill someone if it will save someone else? I do not know the answer. I'm sure there are reasons for each side of the argument. But at the moment, I do not know which side I am on.

No comments:

Post a Comment